How to get to Milford Sound
Road Status provided by Transit New Zealand
You can also ring NZTA’s freephone number 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 444 449) available 24/7
Getting to Milford Sound
The road to Milford Sound is highly scenic and has many beautiful stops and short walks. If you plan on driving yourself you may like to download our self-drive info sheet and check out some of the amazing spot along the way. As any local will tell you the drive to Milford is as important as the sound itself.
Milford Sound Public Car park
147-157 Milford Sound Highway, Southland, New Zealand, 9679
Car parking at Milford can be in short supply so please allow extra time to find a park in the summer months.
Take an easy 5 minute scenic walk to the terminal building via the raised walkway and check in at 20 minutes before the departure time at the Cruise Milford Desk on your left as you enter through the main entrance.
By Coach from Queenstown
Travel in style on our 5 star luxury glass roof coach with one of our friendly local drivers. This coach is designed to make your day comfortable with extended legroom and forward facing driver view camera.
Departing Queenstown at 06:45am, we travel along the side of Lake Wakatipu and through the farming region of Southland before making a 30 minute coffee and rest stop at Te Anau. From Te Anau, we travel the Milford Highway, making stops along the way at great photo opportunities like the Mirror Lakes, Knobs Flat, Monkey Creek and The Chasm. You will arrive in Milford to connect with the Milford Adventurer and the 12:45pm cruise Departure.
Following your cruise, your driver will meet you and transfer you back to Te Anau for another short coffee and rest stop and then on to Queenstown arriving back at approximately 6:30pm. We pick up and drop off at all major downtown Queenstown hotels and bus stations along Frankton Road including the main Frankton bus shelter. If you are staying out of the main area, then please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to assist with connecting you to one of the bus pick ups points.
By Coach from Te Anau
Join the Cruise Milford small coach for an amazing journey to Milford Sound. Our extended day trip to Milford Sound from Te Anau ensures that you see all the best bits that Fiordland has on offer. We include extra walks with your nature cruise on world-famous Milford Sound.
- Depart 7:45 am – Return approximately 5 pm
- A fun commentary with plenty of local knowledge included
- Travel the spectacular Milford Road – with up to 15 scenic photo stops along the way.
- A chance to see Keas, Seals, Dolphins and the Fiordland Crested Penguin
- We travel down the Hollyford Road and do the most spectacular short walk between here and Milford Sound. The “Marian Cascade” walk involves a continuous cascading waterfall draining from a glacier fed lake. After the walk, we supply an afternoon tea break that includes wonderful date scones, tea, coffee, biscuits, chocolates and fruit juice
- If the weather is not suitable for our famous picnic at the park, we go and visit the historical Gunns Camp where the log fire will be offering a warm welcome. This is the only remaining camp that was used for the building of the road to Milford Sound. There will be time to explore the museum, shop and historical cabins.
- When time permits, we have a quick visit to the Gertrude valley where the scenery is breathtaking
- 20 minute walk to the Chasm
- A 1 hour 45 min nature cruise on Milford Sound on our luxury boat the “Milford Adventurer” with no more than 80 people
- Plenty of toilet stops
Our Super Lounge coaches are small and comfortable with quality leg room, and numbers are limited to 16. We have mini-kitchens enabling tea and coffee as required. We will guarantee you the best possible day.
Air Milford operates a fleet of aircraft, and proud to operate the only turbo prop Cessna Caravan’s (with 13 passenger capacity) in the Queenstown area. This state-of-the-art aircraft offers passenger’s excellent views whilst enjoying smooth, quiet air conditioned comfort and luxurious leather seats. Milford Sound Fly Backs: An ideal option for those who have coached to Milford Sound. This way you see it all.
If you wish to see some of New Zealand’s most dramatic scenery in style, consider taking a helicopter to Milford Cruise from Queenstown. While flying is a popular option among those who want to reach Milford Sound swiftly, some may wish to add a little more privacy to their experience. Choosing a helicopter ride is the simplest way to do this.